New Book Honors Putnam Division
Forgotten Railroads Through Westchester County chronicles the life and times of several bygone routes through the New York metropolitan area. Of particular interest to NYCSHS members are the first two chapters, dedicated to the Putnam Division and its Getty Square Branch. The Put was opened in 1880 as the New York & Northern Railroad, and was acquired by the NYC in 1905. It ran from a connection on the Hudson Division at High Bridge to a connection with the Harlem Division at Putnam Junction (Brewster). We are coming up on the 50th anniversary of the end of regular passenger service, May 29, 1958. The second chapter outlines the Getty Square Branch, built as the Yonkers Rapid Transit in 1888, running from Van Cortlandt Park Junction to the heart of Yonkers at Getty Square. Double tracked and equipped with automatic block signals, this busy branch quickly opened up southern Westchester to development. It was electrified by the NYC in 1926. Abandonment of the Ninth Avenue Elevated in 1940 made ridership drop dramatically, and the line was abandoned in 1943. Many color and black and white photos take us on a tour of the line, with informative captions to help the reader navigate easily. The rest of the book covers New Haven topics, including the pioneering mainline electrification program of 1907, and the ill-fated subsidiary New York, Westchester & Boston Railway. Hardbound, 174 pages. Available from your local dealer or direct.