Calendar photographs include: Chicago Junction Railway Class B-61c 0-6-0 #201 in 1949; Class DEs-A diesel electric switching locomotive #1505 (previously battery powered) in New York City in 1935; Class S-1b 4-8-4 #6017 in Bellefontaine, OH in 1953: Cleveland Union Terminal Class P-1a electric unit #219 in 1947; Lima Class LRS-12as road-switcher diesel at Framingham, MA in 1951; Big Four Class Ij 4-4-2 #6949 at Cincinnati, OH in 1919; A westbound mail and express train passes through Ann Arbor, MI in 1948; Class K-14e 4-6-2 #4395 at Schenectady, NY in 1936; Class J-2a 4-6-4 #5457 at N. White Plains, NY in 1951; FM Class CPA-24-4 #4506 with an EMD F-3 B-unit leads the westbound Mercury through Battle Creek, MI in 1956; Class J-1d 4-6-4 #5372 on a westbound freight train at Welland, Ontario in 1951; Class NE-2g 2-6-6-2 #1947 and Class L-2d 4-8-2 #2988 in Bellefontaine, OH ca. 1936; NYC wood automobile boxcar S-234607.
Address all orders for the 2009 calendar to:
17038 Roosevelt Ave.
Lockport, IL 60441-4734
Download the order form here (Free Adobe Acrobat Reader required). BACK ISSUES: Although our 2007 and 2008 calendars are sold out, calendars for many other previous years are still available; please inquire.
2006 Calendar :: 2005 Calendar :: 2004 Calendar :: 2003 Calendar
2002 Calendar :: 2001 Calendar :: 2000 Calendar :: 1999 Calendar
1998 Calendar :: 1990 Calendar :: 1989 Calendar
—John D. Martin
2010 NYCSHS Annual Meeting Committee Chair
Assistant Editor, Central Headlight
"Before retiring, you've had a delicious, leisurely meal in the dining car... enjoyed refreshments and a quiet game or chat in the club lounge... then read yourself to sleep by your handy bed light."
A bed to dream of (and on)
"In this roomy, six-foot plus bed, you float off to sleep on a deep rubber-foam mattress that puts Grandma's "feather puff" to shame!"
Click on the image to see a larger version of the advertisement.
"Fighters, service wives, business men... these were some of the wartime passengers New York Central asked to become its post-war plans committee. And how they responded! Thousands answered questionnaires telling what they wanted in future trains... choosing from newly developed ideas and from features no on latest Central coaches. The car visualized here reflects the choice of those passenger-planners. And now this wartime guidance is helping New York Central's designers and engineers plan new trains that will mean more jobs and finer travel in the years of peace ahead."
Click on the image to see a larger version of the advertisement.
A section of the NYC 1944 Public Timetable - covering the Falls Road.
Collection of Bill Strassner
Medina, New York on the Falls Road back when. Collection of Bill Strassner
A postcard view of the once gorgeous Lockport, NY station on the Falls Road. After some years of private commercial use, it suffered a fire that destroyed it. Current owners are pushing for rebuilding and restoration. Collection of Bill Strassner
A postcard view of Medina, NY station on the Falls Road, note train order semaphore type signals. Collection of Bill Strassner
The crowd in front of the Buffalo Central Terminal listening to the history and ongoing restoration work. Photo by Bill Strassner
From the vendor room at the 2007 NYCSHS Convention, long time Members Allen Hilborn and Larry Baggerly bracket the NYC maps that Allen sells to benefit our Society. On the table is a true and rare collectors item, a cast NYC BREWSTER (NY?) station sign. Photo by Bill Strassner
Friday Evening 7:00-10:00pm
- Model Clinics (TBA)
- Speakers/Photo Presentations (TBA)
- FGLK trip 8:00am-5:00pm
- Evening Banquet – 6:00-7:30pm
- Keynote Speaker (TBA) – 7:30pm
- Additional Presentations – follows keynote
- Annual Meeting of NYCSHS (open to membership or registered Convention attendees) – follows speaker
- Model Train Show at Hotel - 9:00-1:00
- Speaker Presentations (TBA) – 10:00-2:00
- Model Contest Judging
Registration Fee: NYCSHS Members (including family members and spouses) $95.00 for all activities, including Finger Lakes Railway excursion, Evening Banquet, and Train Show Admission. Non-members can register at $95.00 plus $35.00 extra. The extra fee covers membership in the Society for one year, including all rights and benefits, including a year of the Central Headlight. Late registration for NYCSHS members after March 1 is $110.00. Rooms are at the Ramada Lakefront in Geneva, NY. Rooms can be reserved at the special NYCSHS rate of $89.00, you must mention the NYCSHS Convention to get the rate. Early reservations are essential, only 70 rooms are reserved for us on a first come, first served basis. You are responsible for making your own reservations.
Alternate Lodging: Individuals interested in alternate lodging will have to make their own arrangements. Other hotels are available in Geneva, Canandaigua, Penn Yan, Waterloo, as well as Rochester and Syracuse.
Please make your hotel reservations as early as possible to ensure your space! More information posted as it becomes available.
Friday Afternoon: On-Your-Own Activities
Some admissions fees and preliminary permissions may apply.
1. Lehigh Valley Railroad Historical Society and Depot Museum
2. Central New York Chapter-NRHS: Martisco Depot Museum
3. New York Museum of Transportation and the...
4. Rochester Chapter-NRHS: Rochester & Genesee Valley Railroad Museum
5. Central New York Model Railroad Club and Historical Society
Elbridge/Skaneateles Junction, NY
6. Finger Lakes Railway (permission pending)
7. Livonia Avon & Lakeville Railroad (permission pending)
8. Lake City Hobby
9. Despatch Junction Hobbies
East Rochester, NY
10. Central Hobby Supply
The 2009 Annual Meeting Committee (Mssrs. Stoving, Fine and Guillaume) want you to know that the 2009 Annual Meeting will be held at the Ramada Lakefront Hotel in Geneva, New York, on 16/17/18/19 April 2009. A block of seventy rooms is being held on behalf of the NYCSHS. We recommend that you make your reservations soon. Call the Ramada at 315-789-0400.
The registration fee for the event will be $95 which will include your ticket for the trip on the Finger Lakes Railway (bus fare and box lunch also included) and your ticket to the Saturday evening buffet dinner. The room rate is $89/night plus tax. There will be only this $95 fee for the bundled event - no separate fees for each event.
The committee has also reserved the board room at the Ramada for our own board meetings on Thu, Fri and Sat plus two breakout rooms and one third of the ballroom on Sunday for the vendors' room, for special programs and workshops and for a model contest. The annual meeting and keynote convention program will be held on Saturday evening after the buffet dinner. The FGLK trip will run on Saturday.
Thank you for your support.
The history of the Adirondack Division began before New York Central's presence in the area. The narrow gauge Herkimer, Newport & Poland line had been built in 1882. William Seward Webb acquired this line, standard gauged it in 1891 and extended it to Remsen. He then set out to build a line northward through the Adirondack Mountains from Remsen to Malone. Construction was completed in record time and he began service in the fall of 1892 with through trains from Herkimer to Montreal. He included branch service from Lake Clear Junction to Saranac Lake.
In May, 1893, The New York Central took over Webb's line, then known as the Mohawk & Malone, operated it as their Adirondack Division, and changed the southern terminus from Herkimer to Utica. Mileposts, however, always tied to Herkimer, hence the "H" prefix on milepost references. The NYC soon extended its Saranac Lake branch though town to join the earlier built narrow gauge Delaware & Hudson and these two lines shared a new union station in Saranac Lake. From there, the dual-gauge Saranac and Lake Placid Railway soon opened so that NYC connecting trains from Lake Clear Junction ran through Saranac Lake to Lake Placid. The D&H standard-gauged their line in 1903 and dual gauge tracks were removed.
Several branch lines were added to the Adirondack Division over the years including one from Fulton Chain (now Thendara) to Old Forge, another from Clearwater (now Carter) to Raquette Lake, and several lines operated by forest products companies and loggers. Many of the latter were short lived. And the Adirondack Division interchanged with the New York & Ottawa at Faust (later Tupper Lake Junction). This line later became the NYC’s Ottawa Division.
With the explosive growth of Adirondack tourism, traffic grew rapidly on the Adirondack Division and by the 1920s there were ten passenger trains a day (five up and five down), and on Friday afternoons during the summer months a sleeper left Grand Central with through service to Lake Placid, often running in as many as five sections.
In 1940 a connection was created from a point about five miles north of Loon Lake to the adjacent D&H line. This enable D&H trains to run over NYC tracks to Lake Clear Junction and then on to Lake Placid. The D&H then abandoned their right of way from this new connection into Saranac Lake. When the D&H finally pulled out of the area in 1946 they sold their 10-mile right of way between Saranac Lake and Lake Placid to the New York Central.
Through passenger service from Utica to Montreal had ceased in 1953, however commuter runs from Malone to Montreal ran until 1958. The line from Utica to Adirondack Junction was largely intact until 1960, when the line was cut from Gabriels to Malone. In 1962 tracks were removed from Lake Clear Junction to Gabriels, and in 1983 from Malone to Canadian border. The NYC right of way from Lake Clear Junction north to Malone was closed and sold to Niagara Mohawk who uses it for power lines. Service on the Adirondack Division had begun to decline during the depression and by 1966 when passenger service ceased there was only one daily train each way.
The Adirondack Division passed to Penn Central control in 1968. The last regular freight service was in 1972. After a brief resurrection during the 1980 Olympics, the line lay in disrepair. A group of investors reopened the line in time for the 1980 Olympics in Lake Placid and hoped to keep it running indefinitely after that but their efforts were not successful and operations lasted less than two years. In 1992 the Adirondack Scenic Railroad was organized and began operating summer tourist excursions trains between Thendara and Minnehaha. This operation became extremely popular and has expanded to several trains running out of Thendara, some north to Carter and some south as far as Otter Lake. The Adirondack Scenic Railroad hopes to eventually operate trains on the surviving portions of Adirondack Division track, from Remsen to Lake Placid.
An act of the New York State Legislature gave the railroad the power to expand into the Bronx, Westchester, and beyond. In 1842, the line jumped across the Harlem River to reach Williams Bridge, and into Westchester County to reach White Plains by 1844. Next, the railroad reached the top of Westchester County at Croton Falls in 1847, then on to Dover Plains in 1848, and finally the village of Chatham in 1852. At Chatham, connections were made with the Western Railroad (later the Boston & Albany) and the Rutland Railway.
In 1854, Cornelius Vanderbilt took control of the NY&H through a stock purchase. He then purchased stock control of the Hudson River Rail Road in 1863, and merged the two together to make the New York Central & Hudson River Railroad in 1869 (shortened to New York Central in 1914). Of note, the NY&H company still exists today, and remains the owner of considerable Manhattan real estate properties.
More and more people were living in the country and working in the city. As a result, a brisk commuter service developed on the lower portion of the Harlem early on. Third-rail electrification began in 1910 between New York and White Plains, as a result of the Grand Central Terminal Project. A engine terminal and transfer point was created at White Plains North to facilitate the changeover from electric to steam (and later diesel) locomotives. Beyond suburban service to Golden's Bridge and Brewster, through passenger service was available all the way to Chatham. Extended through services were operated over the Boston & Albany to Pittsfield and North Adams, Massachusetts. On occasion, the Harlem was used as a back-up route when the Hudson Division mainline was blocked. Today, only the section from Grand Central to Wassaic survives, operated by MTA Metro-North Railroad.
The Lake Mahopac Branch
The New York & Mahopac, which ran from a connection with the New York & Harlem at Golden's Bridge to Lake Mahopac opened in June 1872. It was leased on the same date, and became part of the New York & Harlem Railroad in 1880. There was only one other station on the line at Lincolndale. The branch crossed the Putnam Division at grade at XC Cabin. The Lake Mahopac terminal was adjacent to the Putnam Division station at the same point. Operation of the Lake Mahopac Branch continued through 1959, when all passenger service was ended. Since there were no freight to justify leaving the branch in place, it was promptly abandoned and removed by the early 1960s.
The Port Morris Branch
The industrial track that ran from the Harlem Division at Melrose over to a connection with the New Haven on the East River at Port Morris was built as the Spuyten Duyvil & Port Morris in 1842. It split from the Harlem near 162nd Street (near Melrose), and ran to a point on the East River known as Port Morris. In 1853, the NY&H purchased the railroad and it was designated as the Port Morris Branch. In later years, the line was electrified with third rail, and was operated as a freight connection to the New Haven's Oak Point Yard.
Map of the Harlem Division
During New York Central control, many changes took place. In 1902, the branch to Mahopac Mines was cut back to Mahopac Falls. That same year, a mile-long spur was built from Yorktown Hieghts to serve the proposed site of the Mohansic State Hospital. In 1915, New York City objected to the threat of water pollution to the Croton Reservoir from this project. The branch was abandoned in 1917. In 1916, NYC moved the Put's terminal from 155th Street to Sedgwick Avenue (just south of High Bridge). The swing bridge over the Harlem River was sold to the IRT subway, connecting with their new Jerome Avenue line. In 1926, the Putnam Division was electrified with third rail from Sedgwick Avenue up to Van Cortlandt Junction, and the entire Getty Square Branch.
John D. Rockefeller was annoyed by the railroad that ran through his family's estate in Pocantico Hills. Rockefeller approached the railroad with a plan to move the line off his property. On April 15, 1930, a construction crew of 500 men began work on the railroad relocation. Three stations were closed: Tarrytown Heights, Tower Hill, and Pocantico Hills. The new route opened in 1931. It served fewer people and generated no freight traffic. That same year the Mahopac Falls branch was abandoned. At the end of 1943, the New York Central filed for abandonment of the Getty Square branch. After a lengthy court battle, the Federal government ordered the line to be scrapped in December 1944.
In 1956, the New York Central announced its intention to end all commuter service on the Putnam Division, and increase fares on the nearby Harlem and Hudson Divisions. By 1957 the number of trains was cut in half. The reduced service led to even lower ridership and the railroad went back to the commission with another petition to end service later that year. In March 1958, the commission approved the railroad's petition, and the last Putnam Division passenger train ran on May 29. An interdivisional shuttled operated by Harlem Division crews continued until 1959.
Because the line had no tunnels and good clearances, "high and wide" freight loads kept the Putnam Division busy until the West Shore was upgraded to accept oversize freight traffic in the early 1960s. In 1962, trackage abandonment began in earnest. First to go was the 23 miles between East View and Lake Mahopac. More tracks were removed and service declined through the Penn Central and Conrail eras. Today, the entire line has been lifted, and much of the right-of-way has been converted to recreational trail use.
Map of the Putnam Division
The railroad was initially opened for business to Peekskill on Sept. 30th and to Poughkeepsie Dec. 31st. 1849. The track had been laid during the summer and autumn of the year 1849 with rail weighting 70 lbs. to the yard. The road continued to be built in sections with the section between East Albany and Hudson opened on June 16th of 1851 and finally on October 1st of 1851, the entire road was opened between New York and East Albany. By 1850 a station had been located at Chambers Street in New York City and horses were used to draw the cars to 32nd Street.
The Hudson River Railroad became the Hudson River Division after the consolidation of the Hudson River Railroad and the New York Central Railroad in 1869, forming the New York Central & Hudson River Railroad. By the late 1880’s the Hudson River Division was shortened to the Hudson Division. When the Spuyten Duyvil & Port Morris Railroad was opened between Spuyten Duyvil and Mott Haven on April 1, 1872 that railroad was incorporated into the Hudson River Division as it had been previously leased to the Hudson River Railroad on November 1, 1871.
Once the electrification was begun in the early 1900’s from Grand Central Terminal to Croton-on-Hudson and North White Plains, the Hudson Division territory between Mott Haven and Croton-on-Hudson was gradually absorbed into the Electric Division and that was completed by early 1910. The 30th Street Branch which operated down the west side of Manhattan Island continued as a part of the Hudson Division until control was transferred to the Electric Division in late 1929 or early 1930. This branch had been the original main line of the Hudson River Railroad until the Spuyten Duyvil & Port Morris Railroad was completed allowing access to Grand Central Station.
Four-tracking of the entire Hudson Division between Croton-on-Hudson and Rensselaer was never completed and significant gaps remained between Peekskill and Garrison, Barrytown and Tivoli and Germantown and Castleton. The short section of four tracks between Tivoli and Germantown and Castleton and Rensselaer were reduced to two tracks early in the 1930’s as a result of the depression. Additional reductions of trackage occurred during the 1950’s and by the end of 1962 there were no four-track sections remaining.
In the early 1930’s, as a result of the depression, the management of the Hudson Division was transferred from New York City to Albany. Control continued in Albany under a Superintendent responsible for both the Mohawk and Hudson Divisions until the late 1950’s when operational control was returned to New York City as a result of organizational and related changes. The bulk of the former Hudson Division is now operated by CSX Transportation as far as Poughkeepsie, and by MTA Metro-North Railroad south to Grand Central.
Map of the Hudson Division
Please address all orders for the 2009 calendar to:
17038 Roosevelt Ave.
Lockport, IL 60441-4734
Although our 2007 and 2008 calendars are sold out, calendars for many other previous years are still available; please inquire.
DIRECTIONS: The best way to get to Harmon Shop is to take a Hudson Line train to Croton-Harmon Station, where free shuttle buses will be running all day long to take you to the shop. Or, if you are driving from New York City, take the New York State Thruway to Exit 9, Tarrytown. Go left onto Route 119 for 2/10ths of a mile. Make a right onto Route 9, and continue north for 14 miles. After crossing the Croton River Bridge, take the first exit to Croton Point Avenue and look for directional signs to the free parking. If you're driving from Stamford or White Plains, take I-287 to the New York State Thruway entrance at Elmsford, and follow the directions above. Mark your calendar because it is a great way to spend a fall day with the family. For Hudson Line train schedule information, call Metro-North in NYC at (212) 532-4900, outside of NYC at 800-METRO-INFO. The hearing impaired can (via teleprinter) call 800-724-3322. Or you can visit Metro-North on the web at www.mta.info. In addition, train schedules are posted at all Metro-North stations.
Posted following the Annual Directors’ Meeting, September 25-27, 2008
Your Board met on September 25-27, 2008, and made an amazing amount of progress! The Society is facing many challenges at this point, but the Board passed several resolutions to manage and resolve our difficulties and to move ahead. Any minor differences of opinion and methods to be utilized were discussed in a friendly and positive manner, and a consensus was reached on all points. All votes were unanimous.
Major challenges include:
The delayed Central Headlight issues. Due to the illness of our editor Charles Smith, Rich Stoving has stepped up and will immediately serve as editor. He will work to create and provide the issues needed to get back on schedule.
Our original plan for an Upstate New York convention to be situated in Utica met with multiple obstacles regarding pricing, dates, and including an Adirondack Scenic Railroad excursion. Utica is therefore not an option anymore Board members Howard Fine and Hugh Guillaume have gratefully and quickly come up with a superb alternate plan to hold our convention in Geneva, NY, on the weekend of April 16 through 19, 2009. It is planned to include some excursions on the Finger Lakes Railway and several more interesting attractions. Full confirmation of the dates and of the convention hotel will be presented forthwith. I may be able to arrange another Hickory Creek charter.
Our plans for the 2010 convention in Michigan have progressed exceptionally well, due to the comprehensive groundwork of members Dick Croy and John Martin. More details about this will follow.
The NYC drawing digitization is complete with nearly 14,000 drawings digitized. Grateful thanks go to directors emeriti Charlie Smith and John Reehling. Our immediate project is to provide all members with an index that will depict exactly what each drawing relates to. Director Tom Gerbracht has spent many hours creating and composing this index for our benefit, and it should be available shortly.
Thanks to some generous friends and members, we now have the resources to move ahead with photograph and negative digitization, and arrangements are being finalized to begin this long-awaited project.
Vice president, NYCSHS
The TH&B was jointly owned after July 1895 by the CPR and NYC (and its successor, Penn Central) until 1977, when CP Rail bought the remaining shares and became full owner of the railway. The TH&B was integrated into the operations of its parent in 1987, losing its distinct identity as a separate railway.
Source: The Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo Railway Historical Society
The P&LE owned a one-third stake in the coal-hauling Monongahela Railroad. The P&LE also controlled stakes in the Montour Railroad and the Lake Erie & Eastern. In 1934, the Baltimore & Ohio negotiated trackage rights over the P&LE between McKeesport and New Castle. B&O's long-distance passenger trains were also moved to the P&LE's station in downtown Pittsburgh.
The P&LE remained a highly profitable part of the NYC system, through to the Penn Central years. After Penn Central declared bankruptcy in June 1970, the P&LE was able to emerge as an independent railroad years later. In 1993, as the steel industry was in decline, the entire P&LE was acquired by CSX Transportation.
Map of the P&LE
See also: Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad Historical Society
Completely New from Diesels to Lookout Lounge!
- Based on 1948 Train
- 9 Completely New Cars
- Authentic Paint & Lettering
- Superbly Detailed Inside and Out
- PROTO-Max(TM) Die Cast Metal Knuckle Couplers
- Matching PROTO 2000(R) E7 Diesels
No other train fired the imagination of the American public like New York Central's 20th Century Limited. Its exclusive clientele and blistering schedule between New York and Chicago made it the stuff of legends for 65 years. A favorite with business and industry leaders, its luxurious accommodations - including a red carpet on the platform at New York - also attracted stars of stage and screen, further fueling the train's celebrity status and romantic image.
New equipment finally arrived from Pullman in 1948, supplemented by refurbished 4-4-2 sleepers and RPOs from the 1938 trains. Painted in a new version of the two-tone gray scheme, sleepers and observations were named for various bodies of water in salute to the "Water Level Route" slogan. Up front, matched sets of EMD E7s provided 4000 horsepower to meet the 16-hour westbound, 15-1/2 hour eastward schedule.
Like the prototype, Walthers 20th Century is "Completely New from Diesels to Lookout Lounge!" And best of all, you can build a complete and affordable Century fleet, from the Phase II EMD E7 diesels to the train's signature "...Creek" series observation-lounge.
In addition, these First Edition models include a special certificate of authenticity, and an in-depth history of each car and loco! Plus, we'll also be offering a one-of-a-kind figure and accessory set, based on the classic publicity photo that defined Century elegance at its finest, complete with eight hand-painted figures and accessories, plus a 12" long reproduction of the famed red carpet rolled out for passengers as they boarded this flagship train!