This website is obsolete
This website is no longer maintained. Go to www.NYCSHS.org
NYC caboose 19877 at Rochester & Genesee Valley Railroad Museum
Built in 1921 (possibly 1918) by the New York Central's own Oswego shops in Oswego, this cupola caboose has a steel frame and a wood body. The original cost was estimated to be about $3,600.00. The car is 36 feet in length and was a very popular design on the NYC.
The caboose was used throughout the NYC system, but spent a good deal of its life working around the Rochester area. It is said to be one of the last wooden cabooses to be used on the NYC (later Penn Central) in 1972. The caboose was donated to the museum in December, 1986 after being sold in 1973 to a private individual who displayed the car in his yard. The caboose was brought in by truck to the museum complex in August 1987.
The caboose has been restored by members of the Rochester & Genesee Valley Railroad Museum including the application of all new tongue and groove siding, new windows, and a complete interior and exterior repainting. Work continues. Currently the caboose needs to have its roof replaced and some additional wood work. Your support can help speed up the work on this historic car and return it to active service.
NYCSHS 2011 Annual Meeting, Adirondack Flyer
Photos from the Adirondack Flyer, operated over the former New York Central Adirondack Division on Saturday April 30, 2011. The Utica-Thendara Adirondack Flyer was one of the great activities part of the NYCSHS 2011 Annual Meeting held in Albany, New York, April 29-May 1. See photos from Friday night activities here. Photos provided by Dick Barrett.
Adirondack Scenic Railroad representative Al Heywood, who made all the arrangements for the Adirondack Flyer. Photo taken inside Utica Station.
Boarding passengers at Utica.
Passengers enjoying first class accommodations.
Enjoying first class accommodations.
Al Heywood and Doug Preston narrating the history of the Adirondack Division during the trip to Thendara. Doug is the local railroad historian and President of the Utica & Mohawk Valley Chapter of the NRHS.
Al Gorney is in charge of diesel engine power on the Adirondack Scenic Railroad.
Passengers enjoyed their ride aboard a comfortable, air conditioned coach. At left is John Mech, NYCSHS Member of the Local Organizing Committee and created the two convention booklets.
Adirondack Scenic Railroad volunteer crew.
The old Forestport Station.
The station at Wood Gate has been restored to a year round residency.
Beautiful Adirondack scenery.
Enjoying the scenery from the open doors of the baggage car.
Arriving at Thendara station for lunch break.
John and Kathy Mech walking to the Picnic Pavilion at Thendara station.
Steve Brown NYCSHS carrying the box lunches to the Picnic Pavilion.
The engine performs its runaround move in preparation for return to Utica. Locomotive is borrowed from the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, an Alco C-425, built in 1964 for Erie Lackawanna as 2455 and later sold to BC Rail before coming to the Adirondacks.
NYCSHS members are eating their very good box lunches at the Picnic Pavilion at Thendara Station.
Boarding the train at Thendara for the return to Utica.
A brief stopover at the restored Remsen depot. The station is a recreation, as the original had been torn down years ago.
A brief stopover inside Remsen depot.
NYC caboose 19509 is on display at Remsen depot.
The end of our journey at Utica Union Station.30. At right center is Ernie Mann NYCSHS, Local Organizing Committee, Author of The Railroads of Rensselaer and a presenter at the convention.
NYC 6721 is on display at Utica Union Station.
From the pedestrian overpass, looking back along our train at Utica Union Station. Amtrak trains stop here, and CSX Chicago Line freights pass through here as well.
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)